Thursday, November 15, 2007

Beware the Blogosphere

J just had a funny blogsperience. A few days ago she went to a school event for prospective parents, and today Holly Horton, the head of school, said that the writer of a blog called The K Files had attended the event, and that she said something about a conversation with a woman who had kids in Kindergarten and 3rd grade. J quickly calculated that it had to have been her, and thought, "What did I say?!"

It turns out she only had nice things to say about J:

I was finally about to approach Horton—honestly, I swear, I was only 10 inches away from her. But then a friendly current parent approached me—and thank goodness because we bonded. She had a third grader and a kindergartener at the school. We had lots in common. She also toured all the public schools and applied to only two private. We chatted for a long time as Horton moved to the other side of the room. Oh well!

Whew! But it's weird to think that a conversation with a random person could get back to people you know via a blog. Am I naive to be surprised by that?

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Yikes! That is very funny. As my sphere of grad school acquaintances grows, I am encountering some people find my blog. Her blog is pretty interesting! The comments are very thoughtful too, I think.

12:28 PM PST  
Blogger Mary said...

but I want to hear who's Horton ?

2:53 PM PST  
Blogger Liz Woodbury said...

horton's the elephant who hatched the egg, mom. jeeze, everybody knows that!

i had a blogexperience where a reader of my blog, whose blog i also read, spotted me in my driveway as she sat in her car at the traffic light, slowly putting two and two together (some details i had revealed were present, i can't remember what exactly -- our car? a bike? a kid? minnow?) she sheepishly emailed and told me she'd inadvertently stalked me!! although she lives really nearby, we've never met in person.

4:09 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home